Originally formed in 1896 as the Edison Quartet to record for Edison Records. The group changed its name to The Haydn Quartet to record for other companies. It was one of the most popular close harmony quartets in the early twentieth century. Their name was a homage to Joseph Haydn, and was later changed to the Hayden Quartet. The group disbanded in 1914.